Update 4/30/17* The new patch is coming out at an undetermined time as of now. Click here to find out why.
Developer Comments: Zangief is one of the characters who has seen a big jump in the rankings since the beginning of Season 2. Although we are quite happy with his progression, we have noticed that his lariat is a large source of frustration for his opponents in that it’s extremely hard to punish.
We feel that with the adjustment made to Zangief’s lariat, he will still maintain his strength, yet players will have to utilize a bit more strategy to be effective with him.
Lastly, we felt that Zangief’s moveset could use more options. To that effect, we have added a few more moves to his arsenal, which should make him a bit more entertaining for those who play him.
- Head Butt
- Reduced the amount of CA meter gain upon use to cancel a projectile attack
- Note: From 50 to 30
- Double Lariat
- Reduced the downwards hitbox on his arms while spinning (1st revolution)
- Changed so that the hitbox on his arms while spinning (2nd and 3rd revolutions) will not hit crouching opponents
- Expanded the hurtbox to the same position as his hitbox
- Harasho Choke Slam
- New neutral/forward normal throw (LP+LK) that is triggered against crouching opponents
- Flying Head Butt
- New move: press up + HK during a neutral jump
- Tundra Storm
- New move: F, D, DF + P – perform a counter (only works against horizontally-angled kick attacks)
Source: Capcom Blog